Sunday, July 18, 2010

In the thick of thin things & the slow movement.

Over the past few years I've thought about the ways that I and others use time. During the industrial revolution it wasn't uncommon for people to work 100+ hours per week. Among those that don't make a living wage, working more than 50 hours per week is still common. Indigenous peoples often 'work' only 1 to 3 hours per day. The time that it takes to find food.

So what do we do with all of this spare time? I think most of us pay homage to the gods of the screen or of song. I waste way too much time playing video games, checking news, and facebooking. I'm 8+ books behind, as in, I own the books, I just haven't read them. But I think there is a fairly simple and objective way to distinguish between time wasted and time well spent. It has something to do with permanence.

I think blogging, improving relationships, learning things, teaching things, producing things, etc. is usually time well spent. The difference in time well spent and time wasted for me is how useful will this time be for me in a few years. Many kinds of entertainment and some kinds of socializing really aren't very useful in the long run.

A lot of people talk about how, although all kinds of inventions supposedly give us more time to do what we want, really no one has time to do anything because we are so busy in this 24/7 world. I don't believe that. I think that when a person feels that way, it's usually because they are wasting pretty much all of their free time. Then they don't have time to think, plan, prepare, or remember. I think we need quiet times to think as people. I think the lack of sleep or unhealthy sleep schedules, like those retards that write blogs at 1:00 AM instead of sleeping (me), can add to this effect.

Having kids also reduces free time drastically, but I think a parent's increased motivation to succeed, what they learn through raising children, and how they change are all positive steps most of the time, and they make up for the lost free time and more.

Earlier this evening I saw a couple that I home teach laying in the grass reading books. I was so jealous. One day I will do that. Even if I have to wait until Christian turns 10 or 11. Sleep calls. I must answer. Good night.

Jeff

No comments: