Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ha! More Ligers!


Not only are there two baby ligers in the Beijing zoo, they're being nursed by a female dog.  What kind of record does that break?  The link is here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=15675450  Why, I remember the first set of liger cubs that I raised...  back in 'Nam.  Anyway... I have to find and post my pictures of ligers now... 

I can't remember where these two pictures came from... if you go to google images and search for "ligers" they'll show up.  I think this one's name is 'hercules' or 'conan' or some similar name.  In case you haven't noticed, many adult ligers have gigantism...  Seriously. 

Oh, here's the dog that's nursing the surviving ligers.  The picture is from the KSL article.  In case you think this is all a joke, here's the wikipedia article about ligers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger  And, as everyone knows, wikipedia is NEVER wrong.  Actually I shouldn't say anything bad about wikipedia.  Wikipedia is awesome.  I was alive back in the day before all this stuff was on the internet, and if you wanted to know something, you had to look at the family set of encyclopedias or the dictionary or whatever.  Seriously, wikipedia is one of the best things since... the wheel.  Only a slight exaggeration.

Apparently, ligers aren't always sterile, which is good to know.  And Shasta was a ligress born in Salt Lake City's Hogle zoo. 

Anyway, ligers are cool.  And not just for Napoleon Dynamite.  For everyone.  Yep. 

 

No comments: