Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How much better is the $20,000 mattress you need to sleep?

IMG_3044Image by Neeta Lind via Flickr
I've been waiting for this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/22/your-money/mattress-not-usually-to-blame-in-sleep-problems-experts-say.html 

Finally found one.  Some official sounding stuff that matches my pre-existing beliefs.  :)  For all the people wanting a new mattress out there to solve your sleeping problems.  The expensive ones aren't really better than the cheap mattresses. 

mattressImage via Wikipedia

Do we really believe that thousands of years worth of our ancestors suffered a life time's worth of back troubles because the super expensive mattressses of today didn't exist?  We went out and bought an $800 dollar California King sized mattress, and it's nice, and I feel about the same as I did on the 9 plus year old queen sized one that we bought that was old and thing and squeeky. 


An example of a Trundle bed.Image via Wikipedia

There is no "science" of better sleep.  Well, not very good science anyway.  It's really the "science" called MARKETING, and we've all been had!  Almost as bad as "a diamond is forever" wedding rings in my opinion.  Lame!  (Don't worry, my wife never reads my blogs:) 

I love some of the articles I'm finding.  "When to buy a new mattress" courtesy of a company that sells mattresses.  You can also buy my free guide, "When to send money to Jeff" provided with no obligation and interest free. 

I think my favorite idea in the article is that "hey, there's nothing like a good placebo effect!" Yeah, if people want to convince themselves that they're sleeping better after paying thousands of dollars to someone else, then by all means, go for it.

This article does illustrate for me something that really annoys me, and that's how companies can mold the truth and create their own with time.  Everyone knows the many benefits of coffee, wine, breast implants, fake bakes, etc.  Any negative consequences get brushed under the rug.  Why?  Nobody makes any money telling you not to participate, but lots of people make money when someone buys/invests in these items.  Cigarettes were the same way until the last 10 or 15 years or so.  The people that make money from selling these products pay money to researchers to find even the smallest benefits, and these are advertised relentlessly, while negative indicators get no real advertising dollars. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

john said...

Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.
plant-based memory foam mattress

Anonymous said...

smokeless cigarettes, smokeless cigarettes, smokeless cigarettes, electronic cigarette starter kit, electronic cigarette, ecigarette

Anil Singh said...

Nice post created by you . Back Support Mattress is the best mattress for side sleeper.Visit : refreshmattress.com